Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Red, White and Royal Blue: Book Review

"Sworn enemies forced to make peace to settle tension between their countries? There's something totally Shakespearean about it."

Photo credits: Goodreads
https://www.goodreads.com/book/photo/41150487-red-white-royal-blue

Red, White & Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐✨ (4.5/5)

This book is included in my top priority list to buy and read before the year 2021 ends, and honestly it was worth it! Red, White and Royal Blue is a story about the son of the President of the United States and the Prince of England being rivals but ended up falling in love with each other. It also gives us insights about their lives as public figures and how they face all the challenges to fight and stand firm for their relationship. Moreover, it is about identity, family, politics and having the courage to be the real you.

"You and me and history...I'm never gonna love anybody in the world like I love you."

I love this book wholeheartedly! I honestly could not put it down, as I read the very first page I had already invested my time and full attention to it. The concept of the book is really interesting and it's all over my bookstagram feed and tiktok. In my opinion, it deserves the hype that it is getting and eventually became one of my favorite reads of 2021! Casey McQuiston's writing style is actually really nice which makes the readers follow the story easily without getting lost. Also, the characters were so easy to love and I definitely felt a connection with them. It was such a fun, romantic, hilarious and  heartfelt read.

"but I know what it's like for your whole life to be determined by the family you were born into, okay? The lives we want – they’re not that different. Not in the ways that matter. You want to take what you were given and leave the world better than you found it. So do I. We can – we can figure out a way to do that together."

Never expected that this book could be so heart-wrenching because I shed a few tears especially towards the climax of the book. Alex and Henry are such inspiring characters and not for a moment I have stopped rooting for them. They just deserve all the love and happiness in this hard and pigeonholed world. I admired the author on how she portrayed the character’s personal lives – challenges and problems they have with other people and mostly within theirselves. Moreover, the relationship between Alex and Henry is just pure bliss🥺 Their love is very genuine which makes my heart melt and I love how they comfort and support each other. No matter how challenging and hard life throws at them as long as they fight together, everything will be alright. However, I didn't gave it a solid five stars because the enemies – to – lovers aspect was quite lacking I just wished there was more of it before they became lovers. The political aspect though was intriguing, it showed the reality of the political world – the good and the bad and how it can change one's perspective and life.

"I promised you years ago I would never tell you to be anything you're not. So I'm not gonna be the president or the mother who forbids you from seeing him. I know you're young, but this is a forever decision...So you need to figure out if you feel forever about him."

One of the most memorable scenes that have happened in the story was when Alex chose to be real and told his mother that he is bisexual and there's something going on between him and Henry. I was scared and nervous as Alex was because I also thought that his mom will not accept it but unexpectedly it turned out pretty well! She supports and loves him. And I think it's really beautiful and encouraging to know that there are people who accept and love you completely for who you truly are. The family bond and friendship were strongly delivered!

Of course, I will never forget the emails that they sent for each other. Those emails were basically one of the most amazing things happened in Red, White and Royal Blue aside from the spicy scenes *winks* and I was screaming and smiling like an idiot! Chapter 11 to be specific is my favorite chapter because it was purely emails and I can feel their emotions and it became their safe space where they can just express what they truly feel and be free. I would like to share some of my favorite notes excerpted from their emails:

"I'll be damned but I miss you."

"Or are you suggesting you'd rather exchange passionate letters by candlelight?"

"Even after all this, I still always feel like I want to know you more."

"Just know, I believe in you."

"You see, for me, memories are difficult. Very often, they hurt. A curious thing about grief is the way it takes your entire life, all those foundational years that made you who you are, and makes them so painful to look back upon because of the absence there, that suddenly they're inaccessible. You must invent an entirely new system."

"And then, inexplicably, you had the absolute audacity to love me back. Can you believe it?"

"You love so much bigger than yourself, bigger than everything. I can't believe how lucky I am to even witness it – to be the one who gets to have it, and so much of it, is beyond luck and feels like fate."

"Please stay gorgeous, strong and unbelievable."

Not me sobbing after I've finished reading this book and witnessed my boys defying all the odds and making history together. I can't tell enough how beautiful the story was. My takeaway – love has no boundaries. Whatever your gender identity, skin color, religion, political/economic status is it doesn't matter when it comes to love. When you accept and love someone genuinely just go for it! Especially when you feel forever with that person💖

"Affectionately yrs"

Spread love and goodness as always,
                                                          em💕


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

ARC Tour and Book Review: A Light in the Sky (Clashing Skies #1)

Photo credits:  https://www.instagram.com/shinareynolds/ Hello bookish people of the universe! I'm so happy to be part of the A Light in...

Popular Posts