Wednesday, July 21, 2021

Tuesdays with Morrie: Book Review


Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐/ 5

    Tuesdays with Morrie follows a young man, Mitch who is reunited with his old professor Morrie Schwartz after 16 years. The catch is Morrie's dying. He is diagnosed with a disease called Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). So, Mitch decided to visit his professor every Tuesday for that one final class and the main subject: The Meaning of Life.

    This book broke me and made me as a whole at the same time. I know this book is not everyone's cup of tea but it has definitely filled up mine. This book is simple yet beautifully written. It's raw, thought provoking and so real. I was and still deeply moved by this memoir. The experiences and teachings about life is overflowing. Not to mention Morrie's sense of humor in this book is unbelievable despite that he's dying.

 I also want to share some of the quotes that completely blew me off and my takeaways:
💟"But by throwing yourself into these emotions, by allowing yourself to dive in, all the way, over  your head even, you experience them fully and completely. You know what pain is. You know what love is. You know what grief is. And only then you can say, 'All right. I have experience that emotion. I recognize that emotion. Now, I need to detach from that emotion for a moment."
💜Takeaway: All of our feelings are valid. No one, has the right to ignore or invalidate how we feel. These emotions are proof that we are simply human. It's okay to be angry, to feel afraid, anxious and    sad. It's okay to experience all of these but never hold on to them for too long.
💟 "What's wrong with being number two?"
💜Takeaway: This hit me. As an achiever, I've always liked being on top with everything I do. However, reality is, you can't always be on top. There will always be someone who is better and smarter than you. And it is still okay, knowing you did your best and having fun in what you do. Being number two or even lower is still okay. Don't be too hard on yourself.
💟"He was fighting time to say all the things he wanted to say to all the people he loved."
💜It's better to say all the things we want to say before it's too late. Unpopular opinion: I'm not a fan of "some things are better left unsaid." I think we just need to gather the right amount of courage to tell them even if it hurts.
💟"I am complaining about the confusion of my age, what is expected of me versus what I want for myself...Life is a series of pulls back and forth. You want to do one thing, but you are bound to do something else."
💜I have also experienced this or at least still experiencing it. As Morrie said, "A tension of    opposites" we are in the middle of choosing between the things we want to do and the things we are bound to do. Life is full of joy and freedom coupled with sacrifices and responsibilities, that sometimes we are torn. However, always think and do what it is right. Most importantly choose and do what makes you happy. Do the things you love because "love wins."

    Spread love and goodness as always,
                                                          em💕

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

ARC Tour and Book Review: A Light in the Sky (Clashing Skies #1)

Photo credits:  https://www.instagram.com/shinareynolds/ Hello bookish people of the universe! I'm so happy to be part of the A Light in...

Popular Posts